To become a dentist, you will need to have good chemistry, biology, physics, or mathematics conditions, followed by a BDS or BSHD (BDS or BCHD) degree approved. Training usually involves at least five years in dental school,
After this, there are one or two years of supervision practice. Once this course is complete, you can register in the General Dental Council and start practising.
What is dentistry?
Dental is a profession that involves treating health problems from the mouth, teeth, gums, and other soft and harsh tissues of the oral cavity. Dentists help people to maintain their presence and health.
It is a truth that there is a better career option in the Dentist, because of the day, dentists are critical roles in the entire system of health care. When awareness of oral health increased and new areas like Periodontics, oral deformity and Orthodontics were introduced, that is why the scope of this area has been made better.
In India, training in dental is 5 years of courses in Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS), including 4 years of study and a one-year internship. And the Dental Council of India controls medical education in India.
How to Become a Dentist
Dentist (DDS or DMD) – What is BDS:
Given the current trend, BDS is the best degree course in Dentist, for 4 + 1-year training. And this course helps students become a dentist. Nowadays, many students quickly make their careers in this area.
There are many different colleges for dental degree programs at a doctoral level. The type of degree, DDS or DMD, depends on the institute, but these degrees are equivalent.
In these programs, applicants need to take Dental Admission Test (DAT), fulfilling an interview process, and meet other entry requirements before accepting into dental school.
Accepted once, it usually takes 4 years to complete these programs and incorporate the comprehensive clinical experience. DDS or DMD programs are likely to study about students:
Oral body composition,
Management of dental practice,
Candidates need a Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) to practice as a dentist.
There is no specialization at the graduation level. BDS is a 4-year course, after which one year turns internship.
After graduates, candidates can PG in Master of Dental Surgery (MDS). And other dental courses can complete.
- Dental Hygienist Certificate Course,
- Dental Mechanic Certificate Course,
- Diploma Course in Dental Assistance,
- PG training is a particular subject for three years
Dental Surgery (MDS) Course: –
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery,
- Orthodox dentistry and endodontics,
- Orthodontics and Dantophosial Orthopedics,
- Oral Pathology and Microbiology,
- Community Dentistry,
- Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry,
- Oral therapy diagnosis and radiology,
The selection of candidates for 9 PG courses is through state / national entrance examinations. Apart from this, 2 years of certificate courses are conducted in Dental Hygiene and Dental Mechanics.
Who can apply?
Candidates who have passed their 12th with physics, chemistry and biology, are eligible to apply for admission to BDS courses with a minimum of 50% marks.
It’s four years, after which one year’s internship is there. All India Entrance Exam (AIEE Book), organized by the Central Secondary Education Board (CBSE), is typical for BDS and MBBS courses.
The selection of candidates is based on points received in the examination. Based on the qualifications made by the candidates, institutions are fixed.
Skills to become a tooth doctor:
- Candidates should be sharp in manual and clinical skills,
- They also require an excellent visual memory and extraordinary skills in the decision.
- They should be able to create quick, synchronized assembly to collect or manipulate objects with scientific lumps to both hands,
- Good senses, self-discipline, and first-rate communication skills will also help make careers in the Dentist..
What degree should be made to become a dentist?
There is more education than other related posts in Dentist to become a dentist, such as dental.
Dentists should first get a bachelor’s degree after that doctor of dental surgery (DDS) or Dental should receive a Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) degree.
What kind of service can dentist can offer?
- Dental Implant
- Single Sitting RCT
- Braces Specialists
- Smile Makeover
- Dental Ceramic Veneers
- Clear Aligners
- Child Dental Treatment
- Wisdom Tooth Removal
- Laser Gum Surgery
- Teeth Jewellery
Dentist Salary in India
The pay package of the Dentist is excellent in both government and private areas. In the beginning, 30,000 / – 80,000 / – can get rupees per month.
With the experience gradually, the wages of the dentist increases, and
- Pay of Orthodontics and Dantophosial Orthopedics: 2,00,00,000 / – per year,
- Pay of Periodontics: 2,30,00,000 / – per year,
- Pay of Prosthodontics: 1,50,00,000 / – per year,
There is no shortage of money in this area; you have to be more efficient in this field. If you have a dentist centre, then you can earn millions.
The process of becoming a Dentist:
To become a dentist, one has to be admitted to a dental college. There are different ways to take admission in these colleges-
- Through NEET
- Direct admission
- Through NEET To become a dentist, we have to do various types of dental related courses, of which the most prominent course is BDS. To do this course, an exam has to be given, the name of this exam is NEET, this exam is conducted every year, after passing which you get admission in the top dental college of India. You can do a BDS course in this dental college.
- Direct admission
Another way to do a BDS course from dental college is direct admission. Many colleges in India give immediate access. If your rank is less in the NEET entrance exam, you can still take admission through direct admission. Apart from this, many colleges offer admission based on entrance exams.
Following are the Dental Colleges in India
- Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences Delhi
- Manipal college of dental sciences Karnataka
- Dr DY Patil Vidyapeeth Pune
- Saveetha Institute of medical and technical sciences Chennai
- ABSM Institute of dental sciences mangaluru (Karnataka)
- Shri Ramchandra Institute of higher education and research Chennai
- Nair hospital dental college Mumbai
- SRM dental college Chennai
- JSS dental college and hospital mysuru (Karnataka)
- MS Ramaiah university of applied science Bangalore
Image source: Dr.Joshipura