The Best Way to Buy a Heat Pump Hot Water System- Where Should You Spend Your Money?
It is wonderful to come home in winter and find that it is at the ideal temperature, thanks to the fact that you can program the time and temperature control very efficiently without being in the house. Every year that passes, the entry barriers to this system are narrowed, and there are many possibilities in the market to choose from.
- Before buying a heat pump hot water, a thorough study of the outdoor unit must be carried out.
- To know the power that should choose, it will be necessary to determine and measure the house’s rooms where the energy will arrive.
- The savings in electricity consumption can be considerable, all this because it is a non-polluting energy source.
Some affirm that choosing the ideal heat pump is a very complicated decision, indicating that they are right. For all these reasons, we have carried out a study and follow-up with the best options on the market. We are sure that you will find the one that best suits your needs.
Buying Guide: What You Should Know About A Heat Pump Hot Water
It is not necessary to be an expert in the matter. Still, it will be necessary to acquire a minimum knowledge of the components of a thermal machine and to know the principles of its operation. We have grouped in the following section a lot of valuable information that will help to have a greater breadth of important concepts about a heat pump.
Heat Pump Definition: What is a heat pump, and how a heat pump works?
It is a device whose function is to transport energy from free external sources. This thermal equipment uses clean energy that helps reduce pollution by providing cooling, heating, and hot water in the homes installed.
For the thermal machine to work and once it is turned on, it begins to absorb the outside air filtered through the evaporator, which is precisely where a refrigerant fluid resides, which facilitates the extraction of heat while it evaporates. The air is expelled back to the outside with a cooler temperature.
The fluid evaporated into gas passes to the compressor, where the pressure and temperature are raised to return to a liquid state. Now the fluid goes to the condenser to get rid of the energy while being heated to send it to the house. Finally, the fluid reaches the expansion valve, which becomes liquid and prepares to start another cycle.
Advantages of heat pump water heater
- Generates more useful energy in the form of heat than it needs to function
- Up to 70% cheaper than any other heating system
- Renewable energy contributes to the reduction of CO₂ emissions.
- They do not generate fumes, gases, or ashes.
- Reversible: provide both hot and cold air
- They generate clean and quality air.
What Types Of Are heat pump hot water there?
We will show you the characteristics of each of them and their main uses.
The heat pump concept has changed, evolved, and expanded its way of taking and giving energy. Once we see how a heat pump works and clarify the types of heat pumps that exist right now in the market.
The Air Pump
Without a doubt, it is the heat pump we all know to take air and heat it. Air conditioning in a heating mode without more. This heat pump is limited to climate and can not give radiators or sanitary hot water heating.
This system is the most widespread and has been a choice of economic installation since its appearance to heat our homes. Although the energy cost that supposes its use, the instability of the comfort it offers, and its service limitations in hot water make us consider other systems many times to meet the needs of our homes.
With the evolution of air conditioning supported by aerothermal, it arises.
The Heat Pump Air-Water
As for its operation: collect the energy of the outer environment and transmit it to a heating circuit or water cooling that manages to heat or cool the inside of the house.
This type of heat pump is recommended for floor or radiant ceilings. It can also use with radiators, Fan coils, or new or previously installed air conditioning splits.
They get an energy-saving up to 70%, although their cost is increasingly chosen due to the rapid amortization of the necessary investment.
Water Heat Pumps
This type of heat pump extracts the heat energy of aquifers, seas, or rivers by hydraulic circuits and makes it serve for heating and hot water.
Water Earth Heat Pumps
Geothermal installations. They obtain the heat of the subsoil by a circuit placed on the ground and a geothermal system that manages to transport the energy obtained inside the house and heat the environment and the sanitary hot water.
They are complex facilities since they require perforations. Although after its installation, they do not require any maintenance or energy cost.
Heat Pumps Earth Air
Like water ground pumps, they are geothermal and use the energy obtained from the land to the air conditioning environment.
Air conditioning, as we know, has evolved; new technologies allow you to obtain cheaper and more efficient energy.
We could also classify the types of heat pumps according to the sense of their operation.
Reversible: They can be used for cold or heat since a mechanism reverses the direction of the circuit and allows both functions.
Heating only: With a single circuit address and the heating function and hot water. Or ambivalent that allow the cooling circuit and hot water simultaneously.
We hope to have been able to clarify your doubts about the types of a heat pumps.
To decide which team best suits your needs, you can consult Evitech about your installation.
We know that choosing good air conditioning equipment can save us many headaches in the future. And we want to offer you the best heating, air conditioning and hot water systems on the market.
How does an inverter heat pump work?
Inverter heat pump systems can save 40% energy compared to other systems. The other systems continuously start and stop the machine; the big difference concerning the inverter system is that said system regulates the compressor better, making it work at a constant speed.
An inverter system favors reaching the desired temperature more quickly and is also capable of constantly maintaining the temperature in the room. Among all its features we want to highlight the following:
- Improves energy efficiency: Inverter technology allows the heat pump to be effective even with temperatures below 0º; those that are not inverters are no longer efficient in these conditions.
- Reduces consumption: thanks to the control of the frequency of the compressor, inverter technology can save up to 40% energy.
- Greater comfort: highlight the stability of the temperature-avoiding shocks; all this guarantees greater comfort.
- Noise level: the compressor, together with the fan, works at low speeds, avoiding continuous switching off and on, favoring noise reduction.
Durability: Considering that it does not have to be turning off and on, we will be able to extend its life thanks to the reduction of wear.
How much does a heat pump consume?
It will consume 4,000 kW approx of electricity. To have a closer idea of how much a heat engine consumes, it will be essential to compare it with other systems.
How long does a heat pump machine usually last?
The most optimistic authorized voices insist that these thermal machines are prepared to have a life expectancy of around 20-25 years. We can find a lot of differences depending on the supplier we choose; many consumers purchased heat pumps from Chinese brands where they have started having problems after ten years. That said, we are going to comment on which components are the ones that could be subject to the greatest wear of the most common machines that are aerothermal:
- Electronic Components: the most current machines, especially the inverters, use them to control all the functionalities. To prevent the key moment is in the installation, where actions have to be taken to avoid overvoltages.
- Refrigeration Circuit: It is important to keep the filters clean while ensuring that the pump manages the necessary flow of water at all times, both in cold and heat. Finally, if temperatures below zero are forecast in winter, antifreeze liquid must use.
Therefore, by carrying out the maintenance recommended by the manufacturer, rest assured that you will enjoy a heat pump system for a long time.
Purchase Criteria for Heat Pump Dryer
Now you know how heat pumps are certain that you are considering purchasing the product. It is time for you to know the most important aspects to consider to choose the right thermal machine. In this section, we explain the basis for making the right choice.
- Noise level
- Outdoor unit location
The power level will be marked by the space to be covered, so it is very important to consider this detail to determine which heat pump to choose. To choose the power, the house’s orientation will also influence; the west and south tend to accumulate more heat due to the hours of sun they receive, unlike the north orientation, which is generally cooler.
- Large rooms: for spaces to cover greater than 30 m², you will have to choose units with powers greater than 5 kW; you can also have two 2.5 kW machines (increased costs for acquisition and installation) and thus distribute more efficiently achieve a more stable temperature.
- Small Rooms: in spaces of 8 to 12 m², 2 kW of power will suffice unless it is oriented to the west or south; it will be advisable to increase the power to 2.5 kW to counteract the increase in heat generated the orientation.
As is logical, heat pumps emit noise, but always within reasonable and permitted margins; exceptions can be given when the installations are not carried out or there is some defect in the different components. It will depend a lot on the manufacturer and the actual quality of the product; an optimal noise range is between 46 dB and 55 dB.
As described above, it is possible to achieve lower noise levels with an inverter system due to the greater electronic control exerted on the compressor, avoiding the continuous switching on and off of the machine. For your greater peace of mind, manufacturers prioritize the noise emission of the thermal units they manufacture.
Before making a purchase decision, it is essential to know the device we need. Unless you are knowledgeable in the matter, it will be necessary to have the help of a specialist. In general, professionals are governed by eight aspects that are the following:
- The prevailing climate in your city.
- The size and distribution of the house.
- Possible insulation that the house has.
- The number of windows and their location.
- Points of air entry into the home (doors, cracks, etc.)
- The number of people living in the house.
- Sites of the house with the longest stay and preferences of the tenants.
- Other sources that generate heat such as lighting.
Outdoor Unit Location
The success of the installation largely depends on the location chosen for the outdoor unit. This section will focus on the best location for an aerothermal machine that is the most recognized and installed in Australia.
- Exposure to the sun: in winter, it must have a medium-high margin of exposure to the sun, but at the same time, it must be compensated so that in summer, it does not take in too much hot air, which would affect its efficiency.
- Weather Conditions: the location must be away from currents and moderate or strong airflows such as the mistral or north wind. It is important to protect as much as possible from exposure to heavy and prolonged rain.
- Avoid Rest Areas: an aerothermal machine can become very annoying when falling asleep and resting. Therefore, other locations a few meters away should consider.
What should you take into account?
We are going to reveal a series of very useful tips, which will help you to clear up any doubts and get the best possible location for the outdoor unit:
- The outdoor unit must be at least 1 meter from any wall or fence.
- The minimum distance between the indoor and outdoor unit is 3 meters.
- A maximum of 7 meters is recommended as a maximum distance, although the limit is 35 meters with a very probable loss of efficiency.
- A greater distance implies extra costs in the installation.
Home automation has also reached heat pumps in the last few years, allowing automated control of many of its functions from the comfort of a smartphone. The idea is to control functionalities such as temperatures, time programming, and various manufacturers, including consumption reports and recommendations to optimize consumption without losing performance.
You must review the specifications of the desired product what type of smartphone application it offers, in addition to all the control possibilities you have over the thermal machine. The most advanced on the market have a maintenance section where the status of the installation components can monitor at all times.
The advantages do not end here; if you manage to carry out an installation where energy is obtained from clean, renewable sources, you will incur considerable electricity consumption savings. The acquisition and installation costs will likely be amortized in the medium term.